PercX , ROLI and other noob questions

• Hi there....

Thinking of purchasing the PercX Pro pack but just wanted to check a few bits... I use the ROLI blocks system including a Lightpad block that works great with ROLI Drum Studio and in my DAW (Reaper)..... I also have an electronic drum kit (Yamaha DT Express II) so sometimes feed in midi from that for recording....

So a few questions.....

• Has anyone used PercX with a Roli and any thoughts on compatibility/issues?? I realise MPE data is not of that much much use in percussion but was wondering if anyone has tried it.

• Can the MIDI CC command that is used to trigger/record the tracks and do complete mix playback be set - I can configure this in my ROLI Lightpad dashboard or drum kit but that means configuring loading different profiles each time

• Is there any way to assign MIDI commands to control the PercX editor.... e.g. I am using a Korg MIDI controller to control mute/solo/record/levels in my DAW and it works great... wondering if this would be possible in PercX

Excuse the many questions but PercX really looks great - just need a bit of info before hitting the buy button...

Regards,

Chris Mulder
    London

• Hi Chris,

Has anyone used PercX with a Roli and any thoughts on compatibility/issues?? I realise MPE data is not of that much much use in percussion but was wondering if anyone has tried it.

The ROLI Lightpad is a generic MIDI device after all, so it shouldn't be any problem triggering kit playback or play manual notes. MPE is just cycling through MIDI channels with each note and PercX doesn't care about the MIDI channel 🙂

Can the MIDI CC command that is used to trigger/record the tracks and do complete mix playback be set - I can configure this in my ROLI Lightpad dashboard or drum kit but that means configuring loading different profiles each time

PercX is triggered by notes like indicated on the keyboard:

058b01cb-258b-4dbf-be93-a40c7a567ad3-image.png

It starts with C and goes upward for two octaves, so you should be able to play at least one of the two players with the default Lightpad note layout (you might have to transpose it, but that shouldn't be a problem).

Is there any way to assign MIDI commands to control the PercX editor.... e.g. I am using a Korg MIDI controller to control mute/solo/record/levels in my DAW and it works great... wondering if this would be possible in PercX

No, the editing capabilities in PercX are not connectable to MIDI control. You can control many parameters of PercX with a MIDI CC controller though by connecting it to one of the 8 CTRL knobs and then assign a MIDI CC to it:

https://docs.auddict.com/percx/ctrl/index.html

• Awesome, thanks for your answers Christoph,

I have since purchased and downloaded PercX and have started playing about with PercX on the Lightpad now and it is working great !!! - The Roli devices (Lightpad and Seaboard) also have a "Piano Mode" which will discard MPE data and send straight MIDI notes

All good so far !! - time to go make some noise !! 😂